About Me

mom of three, wife of one, baker, quilter, coffee drinker.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sleep, Baby, Sleep

I am getting quite frustrated with Evey's sleep. I feel like after 2 years, we should be able to just put her in bed, read her a story, turn of the light and let her sleep. Not in this universe!

If we miss our window of tiredness with her, by even a few minutes, then she is up until 10. Last night she fought sleep until 1am. Not cool.  I think part of OUR problem, is that we let her watch T.V in the evening,  after playtime and bath, and we won't pull her away from the show in the middle of it.  We also don't like confrontation, because we are afraid the crying and carrying on could wake Teagan.  Obviously this approach to bedtime is not working.

I figure there are three gentle approaches we could take:
    1. No Cry Sleep Solution - ROUTINE, ROUTINE, ROUTINE
    2. Baby Whisperer for Toddlers - shush, and put back in bed
    3. Supernanny approach - keep putting them back in bed, no talking, slowly move yourself out of the room.
I need to refresh myself on these techniques just to get a good grasp of them.  Regardless of which option we go with, we need to push an earlier bedtime. Earlier like 7pm, even if it means Daddy doesn't get much evening playtime during the week.

The benefits of getting Evey to sleep earlier are obvious - she'll be less tired, we'll have more time in the evenings to get chores done when we still have energy and Ryan and I might actually be able to spend some quality time with each other. (And I might be able to start sewing more, and maybe start making some money doing it.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just ditched the afternoon nap with Kail and he has been asleep by 8 in his own bed for a week!! Life is good again..lol. Love ya